Dear struggling summer school student (about to enter 5th grade),
I was your summer school teacher for 3 weeks, 3 hours each day. Today, I said goodbye to you.
I (hope) you learned from me:
- the value of working hard;
- the importance of basic skills (math facts);
- learning can be fun;
- you are capable of so much more than you think you are, truly.
- never, ever give up.
I learned from you:
- a few of you are wracked with emotional pain (dad is in jail, parents are divorcing, etc.);
- you like learning to be fun and you’re quick to learn;
- you have some amazing teachers at your school (!);
- “arm” in Spanish is brazo;
- your lack of sleep might have to do with the violence on your street, late at night;
- you hope to be the first in your family to go to college.
Work hard. Never give up. And you shall make it there.