Daniel Pink’s Drive shows that mastery requires “deliberate practice” which is not simply consistency of work, but “very purposeful, focused and…painful” work.
Five steps to mastery:
- Deliberate practice includes changing your performance and setting new goals, not simply doing the same thing over and over again (Pink, 158).
- Repetition matters. “Basketball greats don’t shoot ten free throws…they shoot five hundred.”
- Seek constant, critical feedback.
- Focus on your weaknesses and how you can get better.
- Prepare for an arduously exhausting mental and physical process. This is why so few succeed. Not too many people commit this strongly. Will you?